The production of the lower-Austrian factory Berndorfer Metalwaren Fabrik mainly focused on silver, nickel silver and nickel tableware and kitchenware. The company was established by Alexander Schoeller in 1843 and its co-owner and, simultaneously, chief designer was Arthur Krupp. His talent and endeavors brought the company to its highest prime and the volume and quality of its products became comparable with the leading world producers. Towards the end of the 19th century, the BMF management was taken over by Josef Anton Kolb who had the main credit in enriching the production range with small-series Art Nouveau solitaires of refined shapes and at the same time introduced the production of a wide range of decorative objects and nickel silver sculptures.
The factory rapidly expanded over the years, also incorporating the company J. C. Klinkosch in 1918 and later the well-known company Sandrik, producing silver and nickel silver objects.